My angels!

My angels!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Make your own laundry soap!

I have seen many recipes lately on the Internet, but they were all basically the same. This is the way I made mine!

Heat 4 cups of water on the stove to almost boil
Add 1 bar of soap shredded I use Dove
Heat until bar is dissolved
I use a 5 gallon bucket (with a lid)
Add 3 gallons of hot water to bucket
stir in soapy water from stove top
stir in 1 cup of arm and hammer washing soda
stir in 1 cup of borax
Let it sit overnight to cool. I usually wait 2 days.

I bought a large pack of soap, borax, the washing soda, metal shredder, and bucket. All of it cost me under 15$. I don't know how much money I have saved but it is a lot!

I reuse the jug from the last bottle of detergent I bought, and just refill it from the bucket. I will have to keep track this time to see how many times I refill the jug. I know the jug cost me around 5 dollars. I have already saved more than enough to pay for the supplies listed above.

I have not noticed any difference using my detergent versus the store bought. (I still have problems with stains, I have 2 toddlers! I don't know if I will ever get rid of all their stains!) If you have any hints on that let me know! If you like scented stuff you can add oils to the mix, but I don't know how much since I haven't done that yet. I am thinking about using lavender! I love the way it smells.

I have no idea why I didn't start doing this before. I still have tons left to make more! This is so easy and fun! Evie helped me this time. She was so happy to help cook! I measured the water then put it into a large bowl. I gave her a measuring cup and she put the water into the pan before I cooked it! Then she helped stir at the end!





4 comments:

Cara said...

Oh my gosh, Evie is too cute, helping you out!

I just told Doctor that as soon as I run through the supplies we have on hand that I'm going to start making my own dishwasher & laundry soap. Especially the laundry soap b/c Roo has incredibly sensitive, dry skin & I just feel so guilty about using the commercial stuff.

Felicia said...

Christopher has excema! So I feel your pain! This detergent seems to work really well!

Jennifer said...

Josalyn has Eczema too! We went out and bought our bucket today. Where did you get the soaps from, can i get them in regular stores? Any place have them cheaper than another?

Felicia said...

I bought almost everything at our local walmart. I got the bucket at a farm supply store. It was only 3$ there! The washing soda I found at the local grocery store, but your walmart might have it!