My angels!

My angels!

Monday, May 2, 2011

Stuttering????

A couple nights ago Topher, age 3, started stuttering.  This is something he has never done before, and it is very random.  We immediately called the pediatrician who said this is normal.  He said that stuttering is very common among kids his age that are advanced.  Apparently his brain is working faster than his body can physically keep up.  The doctor said it would last a week or even a month, but probably not longer than that. 

I am still very concerned and worried.  I don't understand why this would just suddenly start out of no where.  He has been tested and is very advance for his speech.  He at the level of a 5 or 6 year old.  However, this doesn't ease my stress.  I don't know what to do.  If anything can be done.  Every moment that passes by I pray it isn't something serious and were just wasting time.

I do totally trust my kids pediatrician.  Even thou the doctors rationale seems to fit it just isn't sitting right with me.  I don't know how to explain it.  I guess I'd feel better if some tests were done and we knew for absolute certain that there was nothing wrong.  However, the doctor said he would not order an mri for stuttering.  He said if he has any other symptoms such as headaches, vomiting, or it gets worse to call.  Then I guess he will order an mri or ct-scan, but will that point be to late?

I don't know, and maybe I am just worrying for no reason.  I am a mother and I guess that just comes with the job.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My son also woke up one day stuttering. He is three and a half years old. I am not worried in the least as it is very normal. I can see his little brain working so hard in there to get stuff out.
My sister in law is a speech pathologist and said he certainly does not need any treatment. BUT, make sure you're not finishing thoughts for him, get down eye level and pretend you have all the time in the world to let him get it out!
My son is much better after two or three months but still does it sometimes~especially when he's excited about something.

Diane and Chad said...

Thanks for the follow...I am now following you. After checking out a few of your posts all I can say is...take a big breath!!! Whew...lots of worrying going on. try to relax and share a little calm with your little cuties:) As a teacher for lots of years, I'd say not to worry about the stuttering...it is very common and if you don't make a big thing of it it'll go away shortly. Breathe and stay positive:)