My angels!

My angels!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring time disturbing nap time!

I love spring time, until the thunderstorms start up!  I used to like them, but the kids get so freaked out!  I spend forever telling them its ok and trying to explain!!! They are laying on the couch for quiet time watching Tinkerbell and the lost treasure!  But every time the thunderclaps they are up trying to see the thunder!  So much for quiet time.  I miss the days when they napped!  But now if they do fall asleep they are up all night!

  I changed they're bed time to 7pm which works out so much better than before, because no matter how late they are up they wake up at the same time!  Which is killer for me!  So I try very hard to have them getting ready for bed at 6:30 and in bed no later than 7.  It is amazing how much better it works out.  They're old bed time was 8!  I would fight with them all night and they'd pass out around 10!  Turns out they were just so over tired they couldn't sleep!

Now we eat dinner between 5 and 5:30 then they play quietly (if I have my way) until 6 or 6:30.  The time we start getting ready for bed depends on if they need a bath or not!  Then its pajamas, brush teeth, wash faces, brush hair, pick a book, and then head to bed.  Where I read them a book, and then turn on a movie.  They alternate picking a movie.  Usually Topher is asleep within a few minutes.  Evie watches the movie most nights then its lights out! 

To help them follow the bedtime routine I made cards with pics on it showing each step and put them on a key ring.  It helped them follow the routine until they learned it! Now we all have our bedtime routines down pat!

Christopher's meltdowns have tamed some since we instituted an earlier bedtime.  The best part is the bedtime battles are far less.  He still has many sensory issues we are working on, and the doctor thinks there is something more (psychological) but getting a diagnosis is impossible.  They sent us to Chicago Children's hospital psych department, and that was a joke.  I sat in a tiny sardine can room and talked to a psychologist and she watched him play in the little room.  How on earth she was supposed to understand him under those circumstances is beyond me!  I cant afford to drive to Chicago once a week!  Plus, he needs to have Occupational therapy and Behavioral therapy but that's 40$ a week plus gas!  We can't afford that!  I don't know what to do!  So I'm stressed and stuck!

No comments: