My angels!

My angels!

Thursday, August 7, 2008

The emergency room.

Everyone hates to go to the emergency room. However, the worst things always happen at night. They either get worse at night or begin at night. So what do you do. As a parent you and I both know it is torture to wait until the doctors office open when we know our children are suffering.

My son is clearly in pain this evening and I have no idea why. It looks like gas pain, but I can't get it to go away. He has Acid Reflux and that in itself can be painful. I don't know what to do. I was literally in tears earlier holding him, because I could just feel how much he was suffering, but I didn't know what to do. I couldn't do anything but hold him. I feel so worthless to him. I want to take him to the ER, but I also know it is not life threatening, or I believe it's not. That doesn't make the situation any easier. He is 6 months and clearly in a lot of pain.

He's grunting and tightening up his entire body. His temp is 100.9. And he keeps lurching like he is going to vomit, but doesn't. Sometimes it sounds like something came up but he swallowed it. His eyes were watering like he was crying from the pain. I kept trying to burp him, but it didn't seem to help. I gave him gas drops, his acid reflux med, tried to feed him, and gave him Tylenol. He finally fell asleep. I want to take him to the ER, but at the same time I really don't. Nobody wants to sit for hours and hours unless you truly have to .

I know when your supposed to go to the emergency room, but it is hard to watch someone so little suffer. Since he's resting I will wait, but if he isn't able to sleep due to it then we will be off to the hospital. I am really afraid he will vomit in his sleep, and I won't hear him. He's only 5 feet from my bed, but I am still worried. Thank God he is still on his apnea monitor. If he wasn't I would probably be at the hospital already. Because of the machine I know his heart rate and breathing are OK. Hopefully he can rest until the morning then see the doctor.

What more than likely will happen is that he will have an unpleasant night, but be fine when I finally get him in front of the doctor. Which will then make me appear totally insane, but I am used to that. Every since my son spent most of March in the hospital, and half of that in the Pediatric Intensive Care unit, I have rushed him to the pediatrician for every cough, sneeze, and fever. I am not taking any thing for granted. The time he spent in the hospital were some of the worst days of my life!

No comments: