My angels!

My angels!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

no boys!

Evie had cheer practice tonight.  This was her second session.  Earlier in the week we talked about cheer and the kids thought it was just for girls.  I told them that there are boy cheerleaders.  The boys catch the girls when they get tossed into the air. 

So tonight at practice Topher said he wanted to cheer to. I signed him up and was about to pay when my husband, who was watching the practice, noticed something was wrong and told me to go check on him.  He was sitting near the girls, but not participating in the warm ups.  I asked him what was wrong, and if he wanted to cheer or come sit with mommy and daddy.  He said he didn't want to cheer. 

We left the gym and watched from outside, like we always do until they call parents in.   While watching the practice Topher wanted to be held up so he could see the girls.  Daddy then asked him why he changed his mind about cheering.  Topher told him the girls said he couldn't cheer he was a boy.  Daddy asked who told him that.  Topher said it was the cheerleader coaching them.

I was furious.  I calmly went up to the adults and told them what he said.  They said he could cheer (of coarse).  That wasn't my problem.  I was upset he was told he couldn't.  Especially since when daddy took him into the gym he told the cheerleader coaching it that Topher wanted to cheer.  The lady running it went in and talked to her.  She said she didn't say that so I don't know what happened.  Maybe one of the little girls said something! I am not sure.  Maybe the teenaged cheerleader did say that and when confronted lied about it!  I will never know. 

I just don't want either of my kids to think they can't do something based on their gender!

No comments: