My angels!

My angels!

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Weekend Get away!

A weekend get away is supposed to be just that, a quick and easy get away from everything. However, nothing is a quick and easy when you have kids even when it is only for 2-3 days. First of all you have to pack everything and anything you might need. This includes a complete medicine cabinet. If your kids are going to get sick it will be at night on the weekend when you are not at home! I found this out the hard way too many times to count.

Every other weekend we go to my in-laws home north of here. It is only about an hour and a half drive, but long enough to make the little ones miserable. I wish they would sleep. I am usually not so lucky. Each time without fail my daughter starts signing "all done", indicating she wants out of her car seat, when we still have 20-30 minutes until we arrive. We even have a DVD player for her already. I do not know how my parents survived without one!

I spend a few days before we leave attempting to get every thing in order. The day before I attempt to clean the entire house. Who wants to come home to a dirty smelly house? Not me. Don't forget to take out the trash. Old stinky diapers, do I need say more? The night before I pack and make a list. Then I can't sleep, despite the fact that I need to go to sleep early, because I am so stressed out about forgetting something. I have only done so once or twice! I also make a list of everything that needs to be done in the morning and grabbed before we can head out. This way my husband can help without messing up my plan.

We rarely get out of the house by the time we planned to, but each trip's departure time gets a little earlier. We are making progress, just slowly! Once we finally arrive and unpack thanks to grandma and grandpa it eventually is a get away. Actually it is the only time I really get to sleep! Thank God for Grandparents!

No comments: