My angels!

My angels!

Monday, January 4, 2010

Topher, Sensory Integration Disorder, Update

As you may know that my son Christopher was diagnosed with sensory integration disorder earlier this year. He has occupational therapy, developmental therapy, and behavior therapy once a week for an hour each. However, he doesn't seem to be improving. He's getting more aggressive as he gets older. He doesn't seem to mean to hurt people, and doesn't understand when he does.

He has hurt his sister Evangeline on multiple occasions. One particularly bad incident he bit her back so bad she was bruised from the middle of her back to her arm and on her arm as well. This was so disturbing I took her to the doctor to show him and discuss Topher with him. He wants to have Topher evaluated by a psychologist to determine if he has a type of autism. The doctor's take on it was that since the diagnosis and medications are all so serious he would not make the call without a second doctor agreeing with it.

A week later he hit her in the face so hard that he separated the tissue that holds your upper lip to the gums in your mouth. I felt so bad. It all happened so fast. I called the doctor and informed him. He wants to put Topher on medication. If he hurts Evie once more then he will put him on the meds. Topher has bit her twice since then, but I really want to wait and have the psychologist evaluate him. Plus, when the doctor does come and evaluate him I don't want his behavior to be altered from meds. I want her to be able to see how he truly is.

For now Topher and Evie are not to be alone for more than a few seconds. I try to have one or both even come with me to the bathroom! It is exhausting! Also the aftermath of all this is that Evie is often afraid of her brother. So he may just be near her doing nothing, but she will cry and scream that he is after her. That is the worst part. I never know when something is really wrong or she is just anticipating something happening. I don't blame her, but I am so wore out. I feel horrible about it too, but I am sick of hearing her whine. Which really breaks my heart! I feel like an awful mom, but it happens off and on all day long every day! I am at the end of my rope. The psychologist doesn't come until the 21st of this month. Trust me that day could not come any sooner.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This can often help with Sensory Integration issues:

Check out the Free Sound Therapy Home Programme available from Sensory Activation Solutions. Their Auditory Activation Method builds on the pioneering work of Dr. Alfred Tomatis (Tomatis method) and Dr. Guy BĂ©rard (Auditory Integration Training) and has been specifically developed with the aim to improve sensory processing, interhemispheric integration and cognitive functioning. It has helped many children and adults with a wide range of learning and developmental difficulties, ranging from dyslexia, dyspraxia and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder to sensory processing disorders and autism. It is not a cure or medical intervention, but a structured training programme that can help alleviate some of the debilitating effects that these conditions can have on speech and physical ability, daily behaviour, emotional well-being and educational or work performance.

There is no catch, it's absolutely free and, most importantly, often very effective. Check it out at: http://www.sascentre.com/en_free.html.

Hartley said...

Hi,

I just stumbled onto your blog and thought I would say hi.

My oldest son has Sensory Processing Disorder (formerly called SID). I have been through exactly what you are talking about here--and still do to some extent even though he is 8.5 now. LOL

I am wondering why you aren't seeing results with OT. Not sure what kind of Sensory Diet you are doing at home, but after a year (how long exactly have you been going?) I would hope you would see results. I would encourage you to talk with your OT about Sensory Diet at home to help keep your little guy regulated enough he isn't lashing out.

So you know, my oldest has bit his brothers (to the point of drawing blood and removing tissues), thrown them down staircases or off the jungle gym, hit them, climbed on them, strangled them, punched them (bloodied noses) and more. And don't get me started on the dog...but all of that wasn't and isn't SPD. He has other issues as well. But, I can totaly relate to being hyper-vigilant (he still has to be with me some days at ALL TIMES including the bathroom!!).

If you ever have any questions or want to chat about what is going on with your kiddo (I had three boys in 40 months, so I get chaos!), shoot me an email or leave me a comment any time!

Good luck and thanks for sharing your story,
Hartley
www.hartleysboys.com

Taylor said...

I just came across your blog and would love to talk to you more about your son. I have a VERY similar issue with my son too. I also have irish twins born 11 months apart. My boys keep me SOOO busy. My oldest boy is almost 2 1/2 and he is currently being seen by a speech therapist. I just started looking into sensory integration disorder but Im not getting places or answers as fast as I would like them through the infant toddler program he is into. Mikey also bites his little brother and a little girl I baby sit. He actually went a whole week without biting this week (HUGE DEAL) he does get really aggressive and he ALWAYS has something in his mouth. I just don't know where else I can take him that specializes in diffirent disorders so I can have him tested and get to the root of things... he has been biting for 1 year now and I am at my wits end. My name is Taylor and you can e-mail me at taylor_dan@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi new friend, I am now following you via MBC.